Monday, November 13, 2006

Runny Pumpkin















It was Saturday and daddy was out of town. Mommy decided for once in her life, she was gonna be on top of a holiday photo opp. So we got dressed and headed down to the pumpkin patch at the Methodist church. Ideally, the boys would have been wearing their elephant (Nye) and Lion (Callahan) costumes for the photo shoot, but that seemed too ambitious, so we opted for (somewhat) color coordinated shirts (blue and white stripes).

The pumpkin patch was picture perfect. Unlike in years past, we got there before all the pumpkins were sold out leaving only the rotted ones behind. Mommy snapped away from varying positions: lying down on the ground, straddling pumpkins to get that perfect shot, stretching on tippy toes, etc.

While taking some shots lying on the ground, mommy smelled something familiar ... something warm … something wet … something stinky. No it was not a rotten pumpkin tucked between two fresh ones. It was Callahan. I casually told Nye to continue searching for the perfect pumpkin while I deftly changed Callahan in the back of the station wagon. I had barely pulled off Cal’s pants when I realized the situation we were in. We would not be buying a pumpkin or taking any more pictures this morning.

“Nye, drop that pumpkin and come over to the car. We’re leaving.”

“NOOOO Mommy! I don’t want to go.”

Screaming across the pumpkin patch, “Your brother has diarrhea. It’s all over the back of the car. We have to go NOW!”

“I don’t want to go. I want to get a pumpkin!” he yelled as he ran away from the car, deeper into the pumpkin patch.

“Nye, we must go home and change Cal’s clothes. He has poo poo ALL over himself, the back of the car and now mommy … and I’ve used all the wipes. We’ll come back to get your pumpkin, I promise.”

We somehow managed to get into the car. Callahan had the runs for more than a week. We never went back to get a pumpkin; by the time mommy remembered, the good ones were gone and only the rotten gourds were left.

No comments: