Saturday, November 17, 2007

Hand in the Cookie Jar


This is a picture of Nye getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar. We had made some (gluten free) ginger snaps the previous week. On Saturday afternoon, Nye disappeared and was being too quiet. I’ve learned that silence means trouble.

I walked into the kitchen looking for Nye. No sign of him, but it looked like the lid to the cookie jar was askew. I walked back into the living room and called his name. He responded, from the vicinity of the kitchen, “Don’t come into the kitchen mommy, I need some privacy.”

Of course I tip-toed back to the kitchen assuming he was in the pantry. He was.

He was sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. He had something in his mouth. Both his hands were behind him. I asked what he was doing and he mumbled, crumbs falling from his mouth, “Don’t look at me.”

Of course I knew exactly what was going on. He’d pulled a page from my playbook.

I pulled his hands out from behind his back and they were empty (he’d dropped the cookie on the floors). After pulling to cookie out from behind him, he explained (very sincerely) that he'd found the cookie on the floor (ha!).

Admiring his efforts, I admonished him (with a laugh) and put the cookies where he couldn’t reach them.

No comments: