Friday, September 28, 2007

Scorpion Slayer

Last night the boys were playing in the backyard after dinner. As Mommy and Daddy walked outside to join them, the boys called us over to where they were huddled over something on the pavement. Nye shouted in excitement, “Daddy, come look at the snap!”

We walked over and saw that the boys had hidden something under a leaf. Nye removed the leaf as Daddy neared to proudly display … a (dead or stunned) black scorpion!

Having only seen pictures of scorpions and live ones in aquariums in museums, my heart raced. “Is that what I think it is?”

“Yes,” said Chad.

A lecture about this dangerous creature ensued. Then the questions came? Where did you find this? Did you touch it? Who killed it? How did it die?

Apparently it had been crawling along the house wall, very close to the chairs under the pergola. Nye killed it with a combination of a rock and his dump truck. He claimed he used a leaf to carry it the six feet to the pavement. I don’t know if that story would have been the same had we not gotten all worked up about what had happened.

I was too stunned to grab the camera and document this. Neither Chad nor I had any idea scorpions were in this area.

No comments: