
On Sunday, we went to Zilker Park to celebrate our friend August’s third birthday. The highlight of the event was riding the Zilker Zephyr, a miniature train that takes a three-mile tour of the park. Nye was ecstatic, to say the least. This is the second time he’s ridden the train, but he doesn’t seem to remember the first ride when he was about 16 months. This was Cal’s first train ride, but he wasn’t as impressed; he dozed off on daddy’s lap.
Things became really interesting after the train ride, when Nye announced he had a poopy pull-up diaper. [Nye is learning to use the potty, so he now wears “pull-up” diapers]. Anticipating a typical poppy diaper, mommy pulled him off behind a garbage can for a quick change. Unfortunately, there was nothing typical about the contents of this diaper. Nye had diarrhea; the worst we’ve seen.
Naturally, we made a trip to the bathroom where Nye conducted more business – this time on the potty (yeah!). I explained to Nye that he had diarrhea and asked if he had eaten anything with gluten* yesterday. He shook his head no (we learned later that he had eaten some chicken that had been marinated in soy sauce, which contains wheat). The rest of the day he proudly declared, “I have dia-maria. I have dia-maria!” Maria is his teacher's name; I'm sure she'd be flattered.
* On Nye’s second birthday, we learned he has Celiac disease. For more info, visit www.celiac.com
No comments:
Post a Comment